Sunday, October 3, 2010

On my soapbox today...enjoy

As I was diligently working to put together our adoption dossier (which is almost done!), I came across this video on another blog and had to share it. I have been thinking so much more about the issue of what happens to young girls who are orphaned or in poverty since begining our adoption of an older child. I suppose when we adopted Eliza, I didn't think much of it, because the truth is that she was an infant girl (infant girls are adopted much more than older children or infant boys). Even though she was labeled as special needs, her needs were not severe and I knew she would have been adopted by another family if we had not chosen to adopt her. With Vishakha, it is different. She is already 5 and has a special need. She has been in an orphanage since birth, and no family has chosen her until now. I often think of what life is like for girls like Vishakha who are not chosen by families. What happens to them when they age out of the system??? It's a horrifying thing to think about. Watch this video, and if you'd like to learn more, visit The Girl Effect website. This is such an important problem in the world, and definitely not spoken of or acted upon often enough. We who have so so much, can do something or give something that is so small to us, and it could change the life of not just one little girl, but generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment